“Since 1931, when it was established by the late Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I, Philoptochos has been the largest organization of Greek Orthodox women which supports many charities while spiritually enriching its members through their participation in its philanthropic work.” Our Chapter at Transfiguration Greek Orthodox Church was started in 1993.
The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Inc., is the duly accredited women’s philanthropic society of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The mission of the Society shall be:
To aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts; and;
To promote the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources;
To preserve and perpetuate Orthodox Christian concepts and the Orthodox Christian Family, and through them, to promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions, in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages and customs;
To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community, with the cooperation of the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
The charitable work of the Society shall be performed with discretion, courtesy and kindness.
The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Inc. is the separately incorporated philanthropic arm of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the only women’s organization recognized in the Uniform Parish Regulations, and a non-governmental organization registered with the United Nations.
The endeavors of the Society are a genuine expression of philanthropia, reflecting an enormous manifestation of love. This agape is evident not only in the millions of dollars of charity disbursed annually to our ministries, commitments, and special projects but also in the multitude of meaningful programs and activities, which have been undertaken over nearly 90 years.
Other Ministries Under the Philoptochos Umbrella
The Compassionate Friends Ministry is a part of the greater Philoptochos Ministry, but not limited to the Philoptochos membership, inviting men and young adults. It is an arm of our Church. Those in this ministry first and foremost offer a connection of loving companionship to people who are bound to their homes either out of illness or age, so that they remain connected to the grace and love of Jesus Christ through our Church. We also extend ourselves to those who may have recently undergone surgery in the hospital, are isolated, are in grief, or have given birth to a child.
If you are interested in joining Philoptochos or any other ministries in extension, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Registration Form and bring it to church with your registration fee or mail it in.
- Membership Tea (Ellen A’s Home) – September 21, noon
- Board Meeting (10 am)/Membership Meeting (noon)- October 5
- Trivia/Family Game Night – October 26 (dinner 6pm, trivia 7pm)
- Christmas Card Orders – November 3 – December 1
- Philoptochos Sunday – Nov 3/Luncheon – November 10
- Thanksgiving Baskets to Compassionate Friends – November 15-19
- CASA Angel Tree – November 17 – December 8
- Christmas Bread Baking Class – November 23
- Board Meeting(10 am)/Membership Meeting (noon) – November 23
- Philoptochos Christmas Party – December 14, 2:00pm
- Christmas Basket to Compassionate Friends – December 19 -22
- Pick up Christmas Bread/Pastry – December 22
- Vasilopita Auction – December 29, After Liturgy
- Board Meeting (10 am)/Membership Meeting (noon) – January 26
- Souper Bowl Sunday Food Drive – February 2
- Compassionate Friends Senior Valentine Lunch – February 8, noon
- Valentine’s Day Chocolate/Pastry Sale – February 9
- Board Meeting (10 am)/Membership Meeting (noon) – February 29
- 40 days/40 items for Safe Place – March 1 – April 12
- Presanctified Liturgy Dinner – March 4, March 11, March 18
- Crawfish Boil – March 28, noon
- Deliver Easter Basket to Compassionate Friends – April 13-17
- Easter Bread/Basket Pick Up – April 19
- Kentucky Derby Party – May 2, noon
- Board Meeting (10 am)/Membership Meeting (noon) – May 9