“Since 1931, when it was established by the late Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I, Philoptochos has been the largest organization of Greek Orthodox women which supports many charities while spiritually enriching its members through their participation in its philanthropic work.” Our Chapter at Transfiguration Greek Orthodox Church was started in 1993.
The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Inc., is the duly accredited women’s philanthropic society of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The mission of the Society shall be:
To aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts; and;
To promote the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources;
To preserve and perpetuate Orthodox Christian concepts and the Orthodox Christian Family, and through them, to promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions, in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages and customs;
To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community, with the cooperation of the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
The charitable work of the Society shall be performed with discretion, courtesy and kindness.
The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Inc. is the separately incorporated philanthropic arm of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the only women’s organization recognized in the Uniform Parish Regulations, and a non-governmental organization registered with the United Nations.
The endeavors of the Society are a genuine expression of philanthropia, reflecting an enormous manifestation of love. This agape is evident not only in the millions of dollars of charity disbursed annually to our ministries, commitments, and special projects but also in the multitude of meaningful programs and activities, which have been undertaken over nearly 90 years.
- National Philoptochos Charities $730
- National Philoptochos Membership (66) $990
- Metropolis of Denver Commitment $315
- Metropolis of Denver Membership (66) $462
- St. Basil Academy – Vasilopita Auction $2000
- National Philoptochos Add’l Retired Clergy/Widow $850
- Ecumenical Patriarchate $740
- Hellenic College/Holy Cross – Fr Nick Scholarship $500
- International Orthodox Christian Charities $500
- Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry $300
- Orthodox Christian Mission Center $350
- St. Paraskevi Monastery $1500
- Holy Archangel Monastery $500
- Children Medical Fund $100
- TGOC Hope/Joy $100
- TGOC GOYA $100
- UT OCF $200
- TGOC Sons of Pericles $150
- TGOC Maids of Athena $150
- TGOC Building Fund $1700
- TGOC Gala Sponsorship $100
- Priest’s Benevolent Fund $3000
- St. Christopher Hospice Home $500
- Mobile Loaves and Fishes $500
- Community First $1000
- CHAT – Children’s Hearing Aids of Texas $1000
- Safe Place $300
- The Refuge/Dove Tile Project $400/$620
- ALS Association $100
Total Monetary Gifts $19,757