What is the New Mount Tabor project – Building Faith, Family and Future?
Transfiguration Church is a vibrant growing Parish of over 300 families. In order to keep pace with the growth of our Parish and our ministry programs, we are planning to expand by building a new Parish community center to replace our current hall. The project includes new classrooms, administrative offices, banquet/fellowship hall facilities with a stage and commercial kitchen, ministry meeting rooms and offices, a proper bookstore, and increased parking capacity. Our best solution for Parishioners now and in the future.
What Parish need does New Mount Tabor address?
- Better Sunday School classrooms. Our New Mount Tabor will have 12 classrooms for over 200 students. Our current Sunday School facilities are inadequate.
- Better Banquet Hall with an elevated stage. Using this hall, we can host events such as Wedding receptions, Baptisms, Birthdays, Retirements, our Galas. Our New Mount Tabor banquet hall will accommodate over 300 people.
- Better Kitchen. The new Parish kitchen will meet required commercial kitchen standards and requirements. Our current kitchen is inadequate to meet Parish needs.
- Better offices and workrooms for our ministries. Our Church and New Mount Tabor are wonderful ways to continue to bring our members together in our youth ministries, Greek School, Philoptochos, Religious education, Retreats, Community nights.
- New sources of income for our Church. The new community center Hall and Kitchen creates a wonderful atmosphere for weddings, large and small meetings, gatherings, celebrations, parochial schools, and organizations.
- Parking relief. We will gain 55 surface parking spaces by replacing the current Mount Tabor Hall with a Parish parking lot.
- To minimize disruption of current classroom and ministry activities, we will use the current Mount Tabor Hall and the Base parking spots during the construction of New Mount Tabor.
What is the New Mount Tabor project budget? Where will funds come from?
- We expect to spend $6.5 million dollars on the project. Construction start is summer 2022.
- Funds will come from two sources:
o Down Payment $4.5 million (from fundraising and funds set aside)
o Mortgage Loan $2.0 million
- During our 36 year history, the Parish has demonstrated fiscal maturity and its readiness to build the new Mount Tabor Hall
Our Church is an extension of our own homes:
Please take a moment to reflect that because the Church is God’s home, even referred to as His “bride”, it naturally becomes an extension of our own homes. Many of us have family members whose spiritual beginning was in this church after receiving the sacrament of baptism. Many of us will witness the marriages and baptisms of our children in this Church and celebrations in the new Mount Tabor Hall. Our growing ministries for Religious Education, Philoptochos, Folk Dance, Greek School, Encore, Young Adult organizations, Orthodox Christian Fellowship, GOYA, and JOY/HOPE are ready to use the new Mount Tabor Hall. We will all celebrate Gala events together, our feast days together, and receive Holy Communion together. And when the time arrives when we are finally called by the Lord, we will say our final goodbyes in this Church and Hall. Yes, there is no doubt that for a believing Orthodox Christian, our church is an extension of OUR OWN HOME!
How can I help?
Christ Himself tells us, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” (Luke 12:48). It is the same here. The idea is to participate at a level relative to your financial means.